Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mr. Boo ate what?!?

If you can't tell from the picture that's a sewing needle in the tube. I just picked Boo up from the vet. He had exploratory surgery yesterday evening. This is long and at times it reads like CSI (maybe not as exciting but CSI-like no less)



Saturday Scott had to go to the office so I decide to let the cats back in the office while I work on report cards so they don't get lonely (or really so I don't get lonely). Well Boo heads straight for my thread box. He starts chewing on something and I rush over there to yank it from his mouth. Boo of course runs away and starts yacking in the hall. Nothing comes up. At this point I am assuming it's thread and he has swallowed it all but I take a look in his mouth anyway. There is nothing in there. But Boo keeps freaking out. I've never seen him hop backwards while he throws up. In fact I've just never seen him hop backwards at all. This goes on for about 15 minutes. Keep in mind I still think it's thread. He finally calms down and so I think he is going to be fine. Boy was I wrong. By 3:30 I've talked to people at the animal hospital, Scott gets home and we are on our way. Boo is gagging and very uncomfortable.


We finally get to the hospital and the doctor does and x-ray of his abdomen. He doesn't see anything weird but knows that something just isn't right. He wants to keep Boo overnight for observation. We decline knowing that Boo would not do well overnight in the hospital. They give him fluids and a shot for the vomiting and give us a laundry list of symptoms to be on the look out for.


At home Boo settles back in and wants to play a little but is still retching every once in while. Sunday is more of the same. He seems better because he wants to play but something still isn't right. Plus he won't eat or drink. Well, he tried to eat but was very unsuccessful.


Monday Scott takes Boo to our regular vet on his lunch hour. I get a phone call about an hour later. Apparently Dr. Tlica has found some bruising under his tongue; evidence that something, perhaps thread, was caught around the tongue and caused trauma. She names a few options for us to think about all of which was done while I am trying to teach 21 crazy first graders. I finally tell her I must see her in person and would be there in an hour.


After talking with the doctor, who by the way I adore, she was so awesome and down to earth, we decide on exploratory surgery to check out Boo's intestines to see if there is an obstruction or bleeding from the thread. Two hours later she calls me and she says, "I have some good news and some bad news."


She didn't find anything wrong with his tummy parts (how awful do I feel now for agreeing to this procedure) however while she was sewing him back up she had an "epiphany" (her word). The bruising below the tongue was bothering her. She ordered an x-ray of Boo's head. Guess what she found? You can see it in the photo above. Boo had tried to eat the thread and instead got a horrid surprise. The needle was lodged under his tongue ALL THE WAY so that you could not even see it!!! POOR MR. BOO!!!




He is doing pretty well and is very happy now that he is home. He has lots of shaved spots and stitches but he is expected to make a full recovery! Meanwhile Lola is having a hissy fit because Boo smells weird and is getting most of the attention. She hides under the tables and stares at Boo and then eats. I think she needs treatment for her emotional eating.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Oh, poor Boo! Recover well!Can you imagine?

Bridget said...

YIKES!!! Poor thing!

The League said...

I suspect this story is really about Scott, but you're covering for him. You need to keep him away from string and sharp objects.

mcsteans said...

Oh no!! Poor Boo. I was hoping he was all better after his first trip to the vet :(

Glad he is ok now.